Business Licence and Permit Applications

General Business Licence Fees

All businesses operating within the Town of Olds are required to have a Town of Olds Business Licence.

Fees are calculated on a calendar year basis.

Resident Business (including Home-based/hawkers, peddlers & mobile vendors)$125.00/year
Non-Resident Business (including hawkers, peddlers & mobile vendors)$225.00/year
Principal Contractor with more than 3 sub-trades and subcontractors$750.00/year
Flea Markets (resident & non-resident)$125/event
Temporary (less than 4 consecutive weeks) 

*If a business opens or only operates after June 30th the fees will be 50% of the above listed rate, with the exception of Temporary Licences.
**If a Resident business closes prior to July 1st a refund of 50% shall be granted to the business owner upon request.

Application Forms

Business Licence Application Form

Business Licence Update/Renewal Form

Additional Permits

Some businesses require permits in addition to a Town of Olds Business Licence. If you are starting a new business, you can use BizPal to help you find whether any more licences or permits are required by the province. 

Please select your business type below for more information

I need a licence for...

Home Based Business

All home-based businesses are considered a home occupation. Please fill in the Home Occupation Permit form.

If you are doing any renovations to your home, you may also need to complete a Building Permit application.

You will also need a business licence.

Class 1 Home Occupation

  • Takes up a maximum of 15 m2 (161 ft2) of your house;
  • Cannot be located outside or in a separate building from your house;
  • Should not create any nuisance or disrupt the privacy of your neighbours
  • Customers are not permitted to visit the home, but deliveries are allowed.
  • Only permanent residents of the home can be employed by the business.

Class 2 Home Occupation

  • Can take up to 30 m2 (333 ft2) OR 20% of your home - whichever is less
  • Outdoor space may be permitted if it will not impact next door neighbours
  • Should not create any nuisance or disrupt the privacy of your neighbours
  • Can accomodate customers as long as the traffic generated doesn't disrupt the neighbourhood.

The following types of businesses are not allowed to operate out of a residential area in the Town of Olds:

  • Commercial dog breeding;
  • Cannabis production, distribution or sales;
  • Vet clinics or hospitals;
  • Dog kennels

Day Care

Daycares are allowed to operate in your home or commercially in the Town of Olds, with these requirements:

  • Any outdoor play areas are fenced in;
  • On- or off-street parking is available;
  • Alberta Provincial Day Care Regulations are followed.

Limited daycare: can care for a maximum of 6 children, and have 1 additional employee.

Neighbourhood daycare: can care for a maximum of 15 children, and have 2 additional employees. Cannot be located on a corner lot.

Commercial daycare: can care for as many children as on-site parking spaces allow. Number of employees is not limited.

If the daycare operates out of your home, the home can't contain a separate home-based business or a secondary suite.

Mobile Vendors

Mobile Vendor Permit Application Form

Mobile vendors also need a business licence.​

Before submitting a permit application with the Town, please determine whether the following are required by the province or federal government:

  • Alberta Health Services Food Handling Permit - if you are selling food
  • Direct Sellers' Licence
  • Fire Inspection
  • Insurance documentation
  • Any other provincial licences

You will also be asked to provide a photograph of your mobile vending unit, and authorization from the owner of the property where the vending unit will be parked. The fee for a Mobile Vendor permit is $25 for residents and $50 for non-residents.

Mobile Vendors are regulated by Bylaw 2018 - 46.

Sidewalk Cafés & Sales

Sidewalk Café & Sale Permit Application Form

The annual permit fees range from $50 to $150, depending on type of cafe or sale.

Please see Bylaw 2018-48 for more information.

You will be asked to provide:

  • A Site Plan
  • Proof of Liability Insurance - minimum of $2M naming the Town of Olds as Additional Named Insured
  • Authorization from the owner the property the Café or Sale will be located in front of
  • Food Handling Permit from Alberta Health Services - if applicable
  • Liquor Licence from Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission - if applicable

Parks and Green Space Event  or Access Permits 

SPECIAL EVENTS PERMIT APPLICATION - for events held in a Town park or property.

SPECIAL EVENT TEMPORARY SIGN APPLICATION - for special temporary signage for events in Town.

ACCESS TO GREEN SPACE APPLICATION - for temporary access to a Town green space.

Building and Development Permits

Before You Start

The Town of Olds issues two different types of permits for most projects:

What is the process for getting building or development permits?


  1. Electrical, gas and plumbing work need separate permits not issued by the Town. Learn more here.
  2. Fill and submit the application forms (listed below) with all required plans to the Planning Department.
  3. If you will be digging, request locates. Locates must be available on site while work is being done. 

    Please obtain line locates before digging:

    ALBERTA ONE CALL : 1 (800) 242-3447 or 
    DigShaw: 1 (866) 344-7429 or

  4. If the project is commercial, complete a fire safety plan. This is not required for residential projects.
  5. An invoice will be e-mailed to you for permit fees and security deposits. All fees must be paid before the permit is issued.
  6. Depending on your project, it will be reviewed either by Town staff or by the Municipal Planning Commission.
  7. If the permit requires a decision from the MPC, there is a 21-day appeal period.
  8. If your permits have been approved, you will receive them along with a Plan Review. This is an overview of what has been approved and will describe when an inspection is needed.
  9. Inspections will be performed by the Town's certified Safety Codes Officer.
  10. After work is completed to Town standards, any security deposits will be returned to you.

Permit Applications

Note : A building permit is not required when:

  • the work does not exceed $5000 in value, or 
  • is limited to painting and decorating, or re roofing or siding of a similar type 

Regardless of the above, a permit is required if 

  • there are matters affecting health or safety, or
  • there are structural changes to the building, or
  • there is change to the use or occupancy class of the structure.

Detailed information is available at Alberta King's Printer [See section 6(1)], or contact the Town Planning and Development department for clarification. Email or phone 403-507-4806.

Fire Safety Plans

I need a permit for...

Accessory Building - Shed, Playhouse, etc.

Accessory Building Application Package

Accessory buildings:

  • require a permit if larger than 10 m2 (107.6 ft2);
  • cannot be located in the front yard;
  • must be a minimum of 1.0 m (3.28 ft) away from the side and rear property lines; and
  • must not be taller than 4.5 m (14.76 ft).

If you are building a garage, it can be located:

  • between 1.0 m and 2.0 m (3.28 ft to 6.56 ft); OR
  • 6.0 m (19.7 ft) or more from the rear property line.

Garages may also require a hard surfaced driveway, and are subject to size limitations depending on the zoning and size of your property. For example:

  • 70m(754 ft2) in R1 and R2
  • 143m2 (1539ft2) in R5

Addition or Renovation to an existing building

Note - Renovations that do not change the structure or use of your building do not require permits, such as installing new flooring, painting the walls, etc.

The existing building with an addition can take up a maximum of 55% of your parcel. (If your lot is zoned R2 and doesn't access a lane, 65% can be used.)

The Town also requires certain amounts of space between your front, rear and side property lines, depending on the zoning of the lot. Please consult with the Land Use Bylaw for specifics.

Change of use

Commercial, Industrial or Institutional Project


You do not require a permit to build a deck that is:

  • Shorter than 0.61m (2 ft); and
  • Not covered or enclosed.

If your deck will be more extensive, please download the Deck Permit Application Package.

If your deck will include a gazebo or pergola, please also fill out the materials for Accessory Buildings (above).

Decks still require permits even if they are not attached to a building.


Please download the Demolition application package.

If you want to rebuild, please fill out a separate set of building and development forms (above) for the new building.

Driveway, Parking Pad or Curb Cut

Please fill out a Driveway / Parking Pad / Curb Cut Application.

If the driveway accesses an unpaved alley, it can be unpaved as well. If it accesses a paved road, it must also be hard surfaced within 1 year of permit approval. There is a $1000 refundable security deposit in this case to ensure the driveway is paved.

Driveways must also be at least 6m (20 ft) away from any property boundary that is next to a street intersection.

The maximum allowed width of new driveways depends on the size of your lot:

Lot FrontageMaximum Driveway Width
Less than 12.5 m (41 ft)7 m (23 ft) or 60% of lot frontage, whichever is less.
12.6m (41.3ft) - 18m (59ft)10 m (32.8 ft) or 60% of lot frontage, whichever is less.
More than 18 m (59 ft)10 m (32.8 ft)

If you are planning a curb cut, Operations staff will inspect the site within 5 days of receiving the application and provide you an estimate of cost. If you agree, the Town will hire a contractor to do the curb cut in accordance with design standards.


A fence does not require a Development Permit if it is:

  • Less than 1.0 m (3.28 ft) tall in the front yard; or
  • Less than 2.0 m (6.56 ft) tall in the side or rear yard.

If you plan on building a fence that goes beyond these specifications, please download and fill out:

If your fence will be near an intersection of a road or railway, it needs to maintain a "sight triangle" (pictured below). The fence can't be higher than 0.5 m (1.64 ft) above the road or rails so that vehicle operators can see approaching traffic.


    Fireplace / Wood Burning Unit

    Please fill out the Wood Burning Unit Form.

    Manufactured Home

    Manufactured home placement requires a General Development Permit Application

    The Mobile Home Addition Permit Package is for adding an addition to a mobile home.

    Manufactured homes are allowed in most residential zones in the Town of Olds. They should have:

    • a minimum roof pitch of 4:12
    • a roof surface of wood or asphalt shingles, clay or concrete tiles, slate or wood shakes
    • a minimum roof overhang or eaves of 0.45 m (1.48 ft) from each external wall
    • a maximum length to width ratio of 3:1
    • a minimum width of 6.7 m (22 ft)
    • a permanent foundation.

    They should also be compatible with the appearance of the other buildings in the area.

    Multiple Housing Developments, Apartments, Rowhouses

    Please download the Multi Unit Dwelling Package.

    This section applies to buildings with 3 or more separate dwelling units. These are only permitted in the medium density residential (R3), central commercial (C1), and mixed use 1 (DC-MU1) districts. To find the zoning of your property please see the zoning map.

    The Town requires:

    • A "loading space" in the side or rear yard - to make it easy for a vehicle to enter and turn around;
    • 1.75 parking spaces per dwelling for apartments; 2 per dwelling for muliplexes;
    • A minimum of 30% of the parcel landscaped, to separate parking facilities from residence windows.
    • Enough space for waste removal bins appropriate for the number of units.

    Apartment buildings can take up to 75% of the total parcel space, while other multi-residential buildings can take up to 55%.

    New House or Duplex

    Please fill out a Detached Dwelling & Duplex Application.

    The Town will work closely with you to help understand the regulations in place when building a new home. You will be asked to provide:

    • Certificate of Title
    • Site Plan
    • Elevation Drawings
    • Floor Plans
    • New Home Warranty - please click here for more information
    • Written confirmation from an Alberta Land Surveyor of the building location relative to the property lines.

    The East Olds area has specific design standards in place to preserve its character. Please see Schedule E of the Land Use Bylaw if you are planning a new home in this area.

    Relocation of Building

    Building relocation requires a Development Permit application.

    Secondary Suite

    If you are planning a secondary suite, please provide us with:

    Any parcel of land that has a detached dwelling space can have one secondary suite, unless it already has a bed and breakfast, day care, or Class 2 home occupation. The secondary suite must be completely separate from the main dwelling, with no shared airflow. (Separate furnace, etc.) An extra off-street parking space must be provided.

    The suite can have a maximum of:

    • 80 m2 (864 ft2) in floor area;
    • 40% of total floor area of the detached dwelling (including the basement and main floors);
    • 2 bedrooms, each with a maximum of 15 m2 (161 ft2).

    Secondary suites can be installed above a garage, as long as the suite itself is not taller than either the main dwelling, or 7.5m (25 ft).

    If the suite has its own separate building, the exterior walls need to be at least:

    • 1.5m (5 ft) from the side property boundaries;
    • 1.5m (5 ft) from the rear boundary if there's a window or door facing an alleyway;
    • 3m (10 ft) from the rear boundary if a window or door does not face an alleyway;
    • 2.5m (8ft) from the main and any accessory buildings.

    Urban Hens

    Before you apply:

    • The intention of the program is to support urban hen keeping within the Town of Olds as a hobby and non-commercial activity. You cannot sell eggs or any products produced by your hen(s) as they are for personal use only.
    • It is in your best interest to not invest in urban hens, equipment, etc. until you obtain your permit.
    • An application does not guarantee you will obtain a permit.
    • The Town of Olds does have the discretion and authority to deny a request for a permit due to documentation or medical concerns from neighboring properties and/or any other concerns.
    • Existing urban hen holders have until January 1, 2023, to become compliant with the current bylaws. 

    Application Requirements
    Applicants must go through the Town of Olds pre-application process prior to building their coops and/or runs. The Town of Olds is accepting a maximum of 40 applicants.

    To apply, complete the Urban Hen Permit Application 
    What you should do prior to submitting your application:

    1.  Make sure to review the Town of Olds Bylaws

      Land Use Bylaw 2021-02

      Community Standards Bylaw 2021-04

    2.  Complete an Urban Hen Keeping Course
    3.  Registered with Alberta’s Premises Identification Program (PID)

    Obtaining a Development Permit:

    1.  Site Plan – Showing dimensions of the rear/side yard of the proposed property location and the dimensions of the hen coop and run.
    2.  Certification or proof of an urban hen keeping course.
    3.  Provincial Premise Identification (PID) number from the Province of Alberta.
    4.  The number of urban hens (maximum of six (6).
    5.  Owner authorization if the property is not owned by applicant.

    Submission Process

    Applications must be submitted before the end of the month prior to Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) meeting. (MPC meets every 3rd Thursday of each month). Once the application is received, a letter will be circulated to neighboring properties of the proposed application. 
    Once the application has been approved by MPC you will need to license your hens. Applicants will be required to show their approved development permit.


    To license your hens, applicants need to bring proof of Premises Identification Number and Hen Course completion to the Town of Olds Administration Building or submit them online via the Urban Hen Licence Application Form.

    Utility Excavation