The Town of Olds provides utility connection/disconnection and billing services. All meters are read on a monthly basis. Bills are normally mailed by the 10th of the month and are due the first working day of the following month. A penalty of 1.5% is applied to all overdue accounts.
If your water usage seems too high:
Check taps, toilets, faucets, pipes, hoses, water softeners, water filters, humidifiers, and sprinkler systems for possible leaks. Any type of malfunction with your water softeners, humidifiers, irrigation system or air conditioning systems could be very costly.
- Put food colouring in your toilet tank and if it seeps in the toilet bowl without flushing there is a leak.
- Check your water filter system, these units can automatically go on "self-clean" mode, consuming thousands of litres of water daily.
Conserve Water and Save Money - Download the EVERY DROP COUNTS BROCHURE
Did you know?
One low flush toilet can have up to 8.6 m3 of water leak through per day, which is approximately 259 m3 per month; using the 2019 usage rates for both water and sewer, this usage equates to approx. $1,870 of un-intentional water and sewer charges. See the Toilet Replacement Program section toward the bottom of this page to see if you are eligible to recieve a toilet replacement rebate.
A quick way to confirm leaks
Take a look at your water meter. If the dial or the flow indicator (a small rotating wheel or triangle) is moving, and you aren't using any water at the time, you have a leak somewhere inside or outside your home.
Utility Connection Requests
Moving to Olds?
You will need to set up a utilities account to receive water services and solid waste collection. Please note only PROPERTY OWNERS can fill out the utilities application form. Please see Tenant information below if you are renting.
Setting up an account can be done two different ways.
1. Online application using this WebForm
2. Filling out a paper form
- Print and fill this Utilities Application form
- Email to email@example.com or drop off at the Town of Olds Administration Building
Your new-to-you home should come with a recycling cart, a garbage cart and a compost cart for your curbside collection. If your residence does not have one or any of these carts, please contact our Finance Department, at 403-556-6981.
Change of Address/Service Disconnection Requests
Moving within Olds?
If you are already a resident of Olds, and are moving to another location within the town, you will need to close your current account and open a new one.
- a. Complete this Change Of Address/Cancellation of Service Web Form.
b. Contact our Finance Department at 403-556-6981 at least two weeks prior to moving to ensure a disconnection is completed.
- Fill out a new application form for your new home
Curbside collection carts stay with the property.
a. Complete this Change Of Address/Cancellation of Service Web Form.
b. Contact our Finance Department at 403-556-6981 at least two weeks prior to moving to give us your mailing address for your final bill and to ensure a final meter read is completed.
As per the Town of Olds Water and Wastewater bylaw 2018-45 utility accounts can only be opened in the name of the property owner.
If you are a tenant and would like to receive a copy of the utility bill for the home you are renting, the owner must fill out the tenant section on this Utilities Application WebForm.
Toilet Replacement Program
A toilet can waste thousands of litres of water every year, figuratively flushing your money down the drain. New six-litre toilets with proven technology can give the same results with less water, saving up to two-thirds water with every flush, and saving you up to $100 per year in water and sewer charges.
The Toilet Replacement Program gives Olds citizens an opportunity to recieve a toilet replacement rebate for replacing old toilets with new water saving toilets.
How it works
Step 1 - Determine Eligibilty
- Current Town of Olds Water & Wastewater Utility customer
- Utility Account in good standing
- Replace a 13-litre or 20-litre toilet
(PLEASE NOTE: homes built and renovations completed AFTER January 1, 2007 are NOT eligible for rebates under the Town of Olds Water Conservation Bylaw.)
STEP 2 - Purchase New Water-Saving Toilet
Six-litre (6L), 4.5-litre or three-litre / six-litre (3L/6L) dual flush toilets. Sales receipts must be included with your application. Maximum of five toilet replacement Rebates per Utility account.
STEP 3 - Toilet Disposal
Dispose of toilet appropriately (landfill).
STEP 4 - Application for Rebate
Complete the Toilet Replacement Program Application Form
- Toilet replacement Rebates are processed on a first-come, first-processed basis.
- Incomplete applications will be returned/rejected. Applicants must resubmit complete forms.
- Retroactive applications may also be accepted dated January 1, 2007 onward.
- One application form must be completed for each toilet replacement Rebate.
- Maximum of five toilet replacement rebates per utility account.
- Rebate amount: $50.00 per toilet.
The Town of Olds financial services team is available Monday through Friday to:
- answer your water, wastewater, garbage and recycling billing questions; and
- manage your account and services.
To access your Utility Account online, please visit Virtual City Hall.
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
403-556-6981 (Payment and Billing Inquiries)
4512 46 Street, Olds, AB T4H 1R5