Finance, in conjunction with the Public Works Department provide: utility connection/disconnection and billing services. The Town reads all meters on a monthly basis. Bills are normally mailed by the 10th of the month and are due the first working day of the following month. A penalty of 1.5% is applied to all overdue accounts.
If your water usage seems too high:
Check taps, toilets, faucets, pipes, hoses, water softeners, water filters, humidifiers, and sprinkler systems for possible leaks. Any type of malfunction with your water softeners, humidifiers, irrigation system or air conditioning systems could be very costly.
- Put food colouring in your toilet tank and if it seeps in the toilet bowl without flushing there is a leak.
- Check your water filter system, these units can automatically go on "self-clean" mode, consuming thousands of litres of water daily.
Did you know?
One low flush toilet can have up to 8.6 m3 of water leak through per day, which is approximately 259 m3 per month; using the 2019 usage rates for both water and sewer, this usage equates to approx. $1,870 of un-intentional water and sewer charges.
A quick way to confirm leaks
Take a look at your water meter. If the dial or the flow indicator (a small rotating wheel or triangle) is moving, and you aren't using any water at the time, you have a leak somewhere inside or outside your home.
Moving to Olds?
You will need to set up a utilities account to receive water services and solid waste collection.
- Fill out the Utilities Application form
- Email to email@example.com or drop off at the Town of Olds Administration Building
Please note only OWNERS can fill out the utilities application form. Please see Tenant information below if you are renting.
Your new-to-you home should come with a recycling cart, a garbage cart and a compost cart for your curbside collection. If your residence does not have one or any of these carts, please contact our Finance Department, at 403-556-6981.
Moving within Olds?
If you are already a resident of Olds, and are moving to another location within the town, you will need to close your current account and open a new one.
- Contact our Finance Department at 403-556-6981 at least two weeks prior to moving to ensure a disconnection is completed.
- Fill out the utilities application form for your new home
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Town of Olds administration building.
Curbside collection carts stay with the property.
Contact our Finance Department at 403-556-6981 at least two weeks prior to moving to give us your mailing address for your final bill and to ensure a final meter read is completed.
As per the Town of Olds Water and Wastewater bylaw 2018-45 utility accounts can only be opened in the name of the property owner.
If you are a tenant and would like to receive a copy of the utility bill for the home you are renting the owner must fill out the tenant section on the utility application form and email it to email@example.com or drop it off at the Town of Olds administration building.
Go paperless with e-billing!
The Town of Olds is proud to be able to offer to our residents the option of receiving your monthly utility bill via email.
The Town of Olds financial services team is available Monday through Friday to:
- answer your water, wastewater, garbage and recycling billing questions; and
- manage your account and services.
To access your Utility Account online, please visit Virtual City Hall.
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
403-556-6981 (Payment and Billing Inquiries)
4512 46 Street, Olds, AB T4H 1R5