Town of Olds
BYLAW NO. 2020-05
A BYLAW TO AUTHORIZE THE PREPARATION OF SUPPLEMENTARY ASSESSMENTS FOR ALL IMPROVEMENTS IN THE TOWN OF OLDS IN 2020.
Under the authority and subject to the provisions of the Municipal Government Act, Revised Statutes of Alberta, 2000, Chapter M-26, and amendments thereto, Council may authorize a supplementary assessment of improvements to property within the municipality for the purpose of imposing a tax;
If Council wishes to authorize the preparation of supplementary assessments, Council must pass a supplementary assessment bylaw authorizing the assessment to be prepared for the purpose of imposing a tax in the same year;
A supplementary assessment bylaw or any amendments to it applies to the year in which it is passed, only if it is passed before May 1st of that year;
The supplementary assessment bylaw must not authorize assessments to be prepared for designated industrial property;
The Town of Olds wishes to pass a supplementary assessment bylaw to provide for the preparation of supplementary assessment for all improvements for the taxation year 2020;
NOW THEREFORE, THE COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF OLDS DULY ASSEMBLED, ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:
1. This bylaw may be cited as the "The 2020 Supplementary Assessment Bylaw."
2. In this Bylaw "Act" means the Municipal Government Act, Revised 2000, c. M-26 and any amendments thereto.
3. A Supplementary Assessment shall be prepared for all improvements to property completed prior to August 31, 2020 for the purpose of imposing a tax in the same year in accordance with Part 9 of the Act.
4. Subject to the provision of Section 314 of the Act the Assessor must prepare supplementary assessments:
(1) For machinery and equipment used in manufacturing and processing if those improvements are completed or begin to operate in 2020;
(2) For all other improvements if they are completed in 2020, are occupied during all or any part of 2020, or are moved into the municipality in 2020 and will not be taxed in the same year by another municipality; and
(3) In the same manner as the assessments are prepared under Part 9, Division 1 of the Act.
5. A supplementary assessment roll must be prepared in accordance with the Act.
6. (1) A supplementary assessment notice must be prepared in accordance with the Act for every assessed improvement shown on the supplementary assessment roll;
(2) The supplementary assessment notices shall be sent in accordance with the Act to the assessed persons.
7. This bylaw comes into force on the date it is passed.
Read a first time this 27th day th of April, 2020.
Read a second time this 27th day of April, 2020.
Unanimous consent given to present for third readin this 27th day of April, 2020.
Read a thrid and final time this 27th day of April, 2020.
SIGNED by the Chief Elected Official and the Chief Administrative Officer this 28th day of April, 2020.