TOWN OF OLDS
BYLAW NO. 2019-17
BEING A BYLAW OF THE TOWN OF OLDS ESTABLISHING THE OLDS MUNICIPAL LIBRARY BOARD
WHEREAS, pursuant to section 3 of the Libraries Act, RSA 2000, c. L-11 Council may pass a bylaw providing for a municipal library board;
AND WHEREAS, the said Act governs the provisions of library services within a municipality;
NOW THEREFORE, the Council of the Town of Olds, in the Province of Alberta, hereby enacts as follows:
1. This Bylaw may be cited as the Town of Olds Municipal Library Board Bylaw”.
INTERPRETATION AND APPLICATION
2. In this Bylaw:
(a) “Act” means the Libraries Act, RSA 2000, c. L-11
(b) “Board” means the Town of Olds Municipal Library Board
(c) “CAO” means the Chief Administrative Officer, as appointed by Council pursuant to section 205 of the Municipal Government Act, RSA 2000, c. M-26;
(d) “Council” means the elected officials of the Town of Olds, including Mayor and Councillors.
THE OLDS MUNICIPAL LIBRARY BOARD
3. The Olds Municipal Library Board is hereby established as the municipal library board for the Olds Municipal Library pursuant to subsection 3 of the Act.
4. In accordance with the Act, the Board, subject to any enactment that limits its authority, has full management and control of the Olds Municipal Library and shall, in accordance with the regulation, organize, promote and maintain comprehensive and efficient library services in the Town of Olds and may cooperate with other boards and libraries in the provision of those services.
5. (a) Members of the Board will be appointed in accordance with Council policies and procedures.
(b) The Board shall consist of not fewer than 5 and not more than ten (10) members appointed by Council.
(c) A minimum of one (1) to a maximum of two (2) representatives of Town of Olds Council may be appointed to be members of the Board at any one time.
(d) One representative of Mountain View County Council or a County resident will be appointed by Mountain View County, and further endorsed by Town of Olds Council.
(e) Factoring the number of Town of Olds Council appointees, between three (3) and eight (8) members at large who can be residents of the Town of Olds or Mountain View County as long as the majority are residents of the Town of Olds.
(f) A member of the Board is eligible to be reappointed for only two (2) additional consecutive terms of office, unless at least 2/3 of the whole council passes a resolution stating that the member may be reappointed as a member for more than three (3) consecutive terms.
(g) Subject to subsection (f), appointments to the Board shall be for a term of up to two (2) years.
(h) Vacancies on the Board caused by retirement or resignation of a member of the Board may be filled by resolution of Council for the balance of that member’s term only and the Board may continue to operate and conduct business until vacancies are filled provided that quorum requirements are met.
6. The Board may, by resolution, establish and amend from time to time such policies required by law, including for meetings, committee structure, the creation and retention of minutes of meetings, the establishment and amendment of Board bylaws and Policies and rules of order and shall be governed by Parts 1 and 5 of the Act, Chapter L-11 RSA 2000 and amendments and regulations pertaining thereto.
7. The Board shall, before October 1st in each year, prepare a budget and an estimate of the money required during the ensuing fiscal year to operate and manage the Olds Municipal Library, and submit the budget to the CAO or designate.
8. The Board’s financial accounts and processes will be audited/reviewed annually by an independent external auditor.
The results and recommendations of the financial audit will be presented to the Board, for approval. Once approved by the Board, the audited financial statements will be submitted to Council and to all other authorities as required by law.
9. Town of Olds Bylaws 2006-22 and 2009-25 and all amendments thereto are hereby repealed.
10. The Board shall submit an Annual Report to Council.
COMING INTO FORCE
11. This Bylaw shall come into effect upon third and final reading.
Read a first time on this 9th day of December, 2019.
Read a second time on this 9th day of December, 2019.
Received Unanimous Consent for presentation of third reading this 9th day of December, 2019.
Read a third time on this 9th day of December, 2019.
Chief Administrative Officer
SIGNED by the Chief Elected Official and the Chief Administrative Officer this ___ day of December, 2019.