Development Services

Development Services Plans

The Town of Olds issues Development Permit Applications and Building Permit Applications for all construction within the town limits. By obtaining these permits, you know that your property complies with the Town’s Land Use Bylaw and the Alberta Building Code. You will be secure in the knowledge that building inspections will be provided by a certified Safety Codes Officer.

It is very important that you have Development and Building Permits approved before you begin constructing your project. If you have begun construction without proper approval, you will be advised to stop construction immediately until the applications have been submitted and approved by both the Town and the Building Inspector. Please note that any work started without proper approval could result in a stop work order, and is also subject to a penalty fee of triple the initial fee.

The Planning and Development Department aims to work closely with landowners in helping to obtain permits. Should you have any questions you may contact a Development Officer who will answer any questions you may have and will work with you to get you the approval of the type of project you wish to construct.

Development & Building Permit Application Forms

Construction, Demolition & Renovation Projects 

For most construction, demolition, and renovation projects a Development and Building permit is required before you commence work. The Land Use Bylaw regulates and controls the use and development of land and buildings. Development services include processing development and building permits, certificates of compliance, sidewalk cafe and sale permits, mobile vendor permits, land use bylaw amendments and providing development information to the public.

Development Permits

Development Authorities

The Town of Olds has 3 development authorites that review, approve or refuse development permit applications:

1.  Development Officer

The Development Officer approves all sign permits and permitted uses where no variance beyond scope is requested.  

2.  Municipal Planning Commission

MPC reviews all applications for uses that are listed in the Land Use Bylaw as 'discretionary'.  MPC also reviews applications that are requesting a variance beyond the scope of the Development Officer.
MPC meets once per month - the third Thursday of each month.  Click here for MPC meeting schedule and meeting agendas. 

3.  Council

Council reviews all Direct Control District development permit applications, unless otherwise noted in the Land Use Bylaw.

Notice of Development Permit Decisions

Please Note: 

Due to Covid-19 the Alberta Municipal Government has made several temporary changes to the Municipal Government Act that directly affect Planning and Development. These changes may be subject to further clarification.  Please contact Planning and Development with any questions.


The Town of Olds has authorized the conditional issuance of the following permits:

Any person who deems they may be affected by the issuance of these development permits may appeal to the Regional Subdivision and Development Appeal Board before the end appeal date noted below.

  • All Development Permit issuances may be appealed by the owner/applicant.
  • Permitted Use Development Permits may be appealed by any person affected by the decision where the Land Use Bylaw was relaxed, varied, or misinterpreted.
  • Discretionary Development Permits may be appealed by any Persons affected by the decision.

The appeal date is determined to be twenty one (21) days from the date of notification in the paper of record. Appeal applications are to be filed with the Regional Subdivision & Development Appeal Board directly though Parkland Community Planning Services (PCPS) at the address below. Applications must include your name, address and phone number.

Parkland Community Planning Services 
Unit B, 4730 Ross Street
Red Deer, Alberta   T4N 1X2
Phone: (403) 343-3394    

    Appeal End Date September 8

    • DP20-101: Change of Use to Indoor Merchandise Sales. Location: 5051 50 Avenue; Lot 1, Block A, Plan 5062 JK. Applicant / Owner: Frayed Knot Western Consignment / 1191988 Alberta Ltd.
    • DP20-102: Residential Accessory Building (12’ X 24’ Pergola). Location: 6316 Duncan Place; Lot 28, Block 1, Plan 921 1028. Applicant / Owner: Russ & Sylvia Pouliotte.
    • DP20-103: Change of Use to Personal Services. Location: 5002 50 Avenue; Lot 10, Block 4, Plan 868 E. Applicant / Owner: Joanne Senase Tabule / Chow, Pauline, Jason Pon & Rhoda Ko.

    Appeal End Date September 15

    • DP20-086: Home Occupation Class 2 – Beauty Salon. Location: 6511 57 Street; Lot 30, Block 4, Plan 101 4447. Applicant / Owner: Lena Fox / Ettore & Mary Donofrio
    • DP20-098: Parking Facility (2 Carports) & Relocate Detached Garage. Location: 5230 50 Street; Lot 1, Block A, Plan 791 0859. Applicant / Owner: Shunda Consulting & Construction Management Ltd. / Mountain View Seniors Housing.

    Appeal End Date September 22

    • DP20-105: Residential Accessory Building (14’ X 8’ Shed). Location: 5416 Silverthorn Road; Lot 11, Block 5, Plan 911 1194. Applicant / Owner: David & Trudy Whitfield.
    • DP20-107: Change of Use to Indoor Merchandise Sales. Location: 4702 52 Avenue; Lot 5, Block 37, 4572 FM. Applicant / Owner: Susan Henderson / 862268 Alberta Ltd.

    Appeal end date September 30

    DP20-108: Residential Accessory Building (12’ X 20’ Shed). Location: 47 Erhart Close; Lot 46, Block 3, Plan 101 4447. Applicant / Owner: Jason & Jill Zurkan

    Development Permit Approvals

    Building Permits

    The Town of Olds is an accredited municipality within the Building discipline.  

    Other permits for electrical, gas and plumbing may also be necessary.  These permits are not available through the Town of Olds, but you can find companies that offer services in the area by visiting

    New Home Warranty

    The New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA) came into force effective February 1, 2014 as part of the Government of Alberta’s ongoing commitment to improving consumer protection, recourse options and builder accountability for new homes built in Alberta.  A new home warranty is required on new homes in order for a building permit to be issued.   Builders who have questions or want more details can refer to the Municipal Affairs’ website. or contact Municipal Affairs at 1.866.421.6929.

    National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings

    The National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings (NECB) was developed by the National Research Council and Natural Resources Canada, as part of the commitment to improving the energy efficiency of Canadian buildings, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The NECB covers a wide range of building components and systems, including building envelope, electrical, and mechanical systems.

    The NECB became mandatory on November 1, 2016.

    Off-Site Levies

    What is an Off-Site Levy?

    Off-site levies are a tool that a municipality can use to pay for new infrastructure or the expansion of existing infrastructure required because of development. Off-site levies must be authorized by bylaw. Under the current Municipal Government Act, off-site levies can be collected for: 

    • New or expanded facilities for the storage, transmission, treatment or supply of water;
    • New or expanded facilities for the treatment, movement or disposal of sanitary sewage;
    • New or expanded storm sewer drainage facilities;
    • New or expanded roads required for or impacted by a subdivision or development; and
    • Land required for or in connection with any of the above-described facilities.

    Off-Site Levy Bylaw 2018-49
    Off-Site Levy Fee Schedule