The Municipal Development Plan (MDP) is a long-term strategic Plan for managing growth in our Town. The MDP sets the vision on how to accommodate this growth responsibly. The MDP will serve as an important decision-making tool for Mayor & Council, administration, and stakeholders.
Why is the Municipal Development Plan important?
The Municipal Development Plan guides and directs future physical growth and development, ensuring that it is orderly, economical and beneficial while balancing the environmental, social and economic needs and desires of the community. It is visionary, strategic and long-term in its outlook and application.
The Municipal Development Plan reflects the kind of community Olds wishes to be in the future and identifies ways to achieve this future. It provides a policy framework for the growth and development of the community over many years. A thirty (30) year period is the time horizon that is typically considered.
Topics covered in a Municipal Development Plan include:
- Land use patterns showing the locations for major residential, commercial and industrial areas of activity;
- Major road and pedestrian corridors and networks;
- Preservation of significant natural features;
- Open space, park and recreation areas;
- Design of subdivisions and neighbourhoods;
- Economic development and locations for employment related needs;
- Cultural and heritage preservation; and
- Directions for future growth and expansion.